Proxmark3 community

Research, development and trades concerning the powerful Proxmark3 device.

Remember; sharing is caring. Bring something back to the community.

"Learn the tools of the trade the hard way." +Fravia

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Time changes and with it the technology
Proxmark3 @ discord

Users of this forum, please be aware that information stored on this site is not private.

#1 2021-04-14 14:38:19

BBking
Contributor

Mifare and iClass overview

Hi everyone.

This is my first post here (other than the intro one...).

My field of work is access control and I want to delve more into the technology and how the bit formats are encrypted and stored.

I understand that different technologies do it in different ways but the main technology families (for access control) are Mifare and iClass. They have different branches/generations of each other: Mifare Classic, DESFire EV1 & DESFire EV2 iClass iClass (legacy), iClass SE & SEOS (in order or security and generation/release).

I've tried looking for manuals and the threads are either too old or too technical.

http://www.proxmark.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=146
http://www.proxmark.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=8101
http://www.proxmark.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1068

I definitely want to purchase a ProxMark3, I just haven't yet... smile I feel that I can learn the compiling/firmware/software alright but I also like to understand things from a layman's point of view. Usually, I just learn the technical first, then explain it in layman's terms.

For example, I explain CSN and iClass like the below...

Think of a car something most people can relate to.
The number plate is like a CSN - everyone can see it, everyone can copy it. It stands for "Card Serial Number" and is essentially used for tracking the card.
The bit format is the site code and card number - there are many different types but 26-bit is the most common. 8 bits for site code, 16 for the card number - 1-255 for the site code range and 1-65,535 for the card number.
For iClass (legacy), the bit format is stored in the drivers seat - you need a key to access it.
iClass SE, the bit format is stored in the drivers seat but you need to open the passengers door first and then the drivers door - you need two different keys to access it.
SEOS, same thing, the bit format is stored in the drivers seat but you need to open two passengers doors first then the drivers door - you need three different keys to access it.

Now, I know that's not exactly right... But you get the gist of it and it makes sense... SEOS is more secure than iClass SE and so on... They don't need to know about blocks, sectors or pages. Although, you could explain that each seat or door is a sector but anyway... That's when you are using more than one application such as hard wired readers and wireless doors and the wireless system writes to a different sector so one card can work on any reader.

Now, is anyone about to provide and overview with regards to keysets, how they're stored and how it's encrypted? Both for Mifare and iClass? Links to threads, websites, manuals or videos is absolutely welcome!

Last edited by BBking (2021-04-14 14:39:25)

#2 2021-04-21 12:04:19

BBking
Contributor

Re: Mifare and iClass overview

Hmm. I realise now that this isn't an appropriate question for this forum. I feel like a goose...

Can an admin please close/delete?

Board footer