Proxmark3 community

Research, development and trades concerning the powerful Proxmark3 device.

Remember; sharing is caring. Bring something back to the community.

"Learn the tools of the trade the hard way." +Fravia

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Time changes and with it the technology
Proxmark3 @ discord

Users of this forum, please be aware that information stored on this site is not private.

#1 2009-07-07 02:50:56

samy
Contributor
Website

Reading an unknown card

Hey guys,

So I found a credit card style RFID card, but is *not* a credit card. I don't have a reader for the card, but I can guess what's on the card. There is an ID on the back.

Do I have any chance of deciphering the thing? It looks like HF based off a loread vs a hi14read. A loread + losamples shows nothing (practically a straight line) vs the image below which is a hi14read + hisamples.

Is this even the right way to try to read data from it, or am I pretty much screwed unless I have a legit reader for it?

card

#2 2009-07-07 03:27:33

rleroy
Contributor

Re: Reading an unknown card

Hi Samy,

This is what I would do in order to learn more about the tag. I would take the technique found at the following URL: https://www.lafargue.name/article2752.html at the section named "Identifying an unknown tag" in order to detect if it's 125khz or 13.56mhz.

If it's a 13.56mhz card, there is the possibility (correct me if im wrong) that it's either a tag type of card (single request/reply), or a rfid smartcard where it's possible to actually send ISO-7816 (APDU) commands.

ISO-7816 is a set of protocols and standards, and 7816-4 is the interesting part that describes a standard on how to communicate with smartcards, by defining simple smartcard commands such as:
- open file;
- read file;
- write to file;
- append to file;
- authenticate/request challenge;

If you are interested in smartcard security, I highly suggest you to get a basic smartcard reader, such as the Omnikey 5321 (like $75USD), and learn the wonderful language of APDU.

My 2 cents,

--
rleroy

#3 2009-07-07 06:32:12

samy
Contributor
Website

Damn, I think I found out what it is from some docs:

MIFARE Plus microcontroller smart card IC

This probably won't be fun.

#4 2009-07-07 08:18:27

szymonunion
Contributor

Hi rleroy,

rleroy wrote:

[...]

If you are interested in smartcard security, I highly suggest you to get a basic smartcard reader, such as the Omnikey 5321 (like $75USD), and learn the wonderful language of APDU.

where did you find such a low price? I need to order it, because here it is about $130.

Thanks in advance!

Best Regards,

--
SzYmOn

#5 2009-07-07 08:22:38

samy
Contributor
Website

Just check on froogle.com and you should find some good prices ($50 and up).

However a few weeks ago HID started having supply delays. Most places won't get new ones in for another two weeks, but you should be able to manage to find some places that are still in stock.

#6 2009-07-07 13:27:59

rleroy
Contributor

szymonunion wrote:

Hi rleroy,

where did you find such a low price? I need to order it, because here it is about $130.

Right here: http://www.smartcardsource.com/readers1.html . I don't know if they ship everywhere in the world (probably).

Board footer