Proxmark3 community

Research, development and trades concerning the powerful Proxmark3 device.

Remember; sharing is caring. Bring something back to the community.

"Learn the tools of the trade the hard way." +Fravia

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Time changes and with it the technology
Proxmark3 @ discord

Users of this forum, please be aware that information stored on this site is not private.

#1 2019-04-10 20:01:23

sciencetor2
Contributor

[RDV4] Question about RDV4 features

Hi All,

I purchased a Proxmark3 RDV4 a little while back as part of an RFID toolkit bundle that contained everything I needed for a few pieces of research I was trying to complete. Now that I have it though, I can't help but noticed that many of the hardware features of this device aren't very well documented, whether on the wiki, on the retailer website, or from the manufacturer. I was wondering if A) there's a Manual for this specific model somewhere that I am not seeing, which would be ideal, or B) failing that if someone could help me find answers to the below questions which are not part of the original Proxmark3 specs.

1. This model has a Sim reader. Is there a specific purpose/functionality for this that is supported by the current firmware, or is this just additional hardware that someone might want to write supported functionality for in the future? If it is supported now, what is its purpose? Sim cloning? external storage?

2. The Lab401 website claims it has BLE/Wifi Module expansion capability. are there such modules for sale somewhere? and again, does the firmware support doing things with this, such as automatic uploads to a remote server?

3. Lab401 claims this model "includes a long range antenna", but also claims there's a "long range HF antenna accessory". so is this antenna internal, and does it only work for HF? what is the range?

4. If I wanted to try and develop support for reading tags not within the included frequencies, such as those frequently used for RFID-based parking passes, Toll passes, and other similar extra long range tags, provided I was able to obtain the required antenna, would this hardware support that?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

#2 2019-04-10 21:11:40

cds333
Contributor

Re: [RDV4] Question about RDV4 features

I can help you with two of those. I already asked them about the sim reader.

1) It is there for future functionality and not currently used.

3) There are 3 antennas, the LF/HF dual included (short range), the HF medium range and the HF long range. The latter two are included in the upgrade kit for ~$100 and the long range is not included with the base RDV4, unless you buy the "complete" kit for €439 from 401

There is no manual. My suggestion is to read all the old threads on the forum (those with answers) espc the answers from the developers, and the threads on stackexchange and reddit, as well as the tutorials people have written. Unfortunately 99% of them are about the old models though so if you're asking about RDV4 specific features it will be more difficult to find pertinent threads.

Last edited by cds333 (2019-04-10 21:12:15)

#3 2019-04-10 21:24:44

iceman
Administrator
Website

Happy you finally start to play with your RDV4.

The process of learning and master a proxmark is hard and tough one.  You will have to read lots of wiki,  blogposts,  datasheets, youtube clips and documentation available in the github repo.  First of all, the proxmark3 RDV4 is just a proxmark3.  So all old documentation applies to it.  However the RDV4 has some extras, like the onboard flashmem, FPC and sim module.   

The sim module enables iso7816 communtications with a smart card.  Use latest client/firmware to get best support.
The client supports it via commands like sc and emv.  There is also videos on youtube which demonstrates its usage. A bit outdated now but it still gets the message across.

Via the FPC connector you can hook up extra addons,  like a serial over BL to enable an alternative way to communicate with the device.
The firmware has partial support for it.  The RRG BL/Battery addon isn't finished yet but will be ready for the world on HITB Amsterdam in a month.  There is no implementation of automatic updates,  but the FPC connector is an enabler for your maker ideas. It enables you to make new addons.  Like a active long range antenna?  or Wifi?.   

Yup, there is a large HF antenna brings distances to 15cm for some protocols.  The distance is more dependant of card/tag antenna.
Soon there is also a large LF antenna also to be presented at HITB Amsterdam.

No, the proxmark3 device supports LF / HF frequences of RFID.  If you want to add support to other frequences you will have to think of what you want the pm3 todo with the extra frequences since nothing in the current hardware/firmware/client supports it.  You will need to support for all other those parts.

#4 2019-04-10 21:26:01

iceman
Administrator
Website

@cds333 ,  I am afraid you are a bit outdated when it comes to your answer the first question.  The sim module is fully supported in firmware and client.

#5 2019-04-11 14:28:38

sciencetor2
Contributor

thanks @iceman and @cds333 for the info! I will watch some videos on the SIM functionality.

@iceman in your opinion, If I were to do some coding for the firmware and get a different antenna, could the onboard chips support ISO18000-6C or is the hardware simply not compatible?

#6 2019-04-11 15:43:43

iceman
Administrator
Website

lemme see,   no. the onboard chips will have a hard time doing UHF.

However you could build a addon to your RDV4 and let the addon have antenna/demod for UHF. Send the signal data to the pm3 via FPC.   The main reason for the FPC connector, its a platform to build upon.  if that is doable, maybe, who knows?  We will not know until its done.

#7 2019-04-11 17:59:50

sciencetor2
Contributor

@iceman ah, I see. Unfortunately designing new hardware is not something within my skillset. It would be nice to have UHF support in a future version, as it is now one of the most common standards for vehicular use, and would enable some research in that area. To the best of my knowledge there isn't any research hardware for this, beyond the official readers.

#8 2019-04-11 18:01:43

iceman
Administrator
Website

indeed,   who knows what may happen.  If there was an interest in creating such addon,  RRG is certainly up for it.

#9 2019-04-11 19:38:24

sciencetor2
Contributor

@iceman RRG?

#10 2019-04-11 20:08:11

iceman
Administrator
Website

RfidResearchGroup, from where the RDV4 comes.   LAB401 is a webshop who distributes it, just like hackerware house.  They didn't manufacture it nor produce it.

Board footer