Proxmark3 community

Research, development and trades concerning the powerful Proxmark3 device.

Remember; sharing is caring. Bring something back to the community.

"Learn the tools of the trade the hard way." +Fravia

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Time changes and with it the technology
Proxmark3 @ discord

Users of this forum, please be aware that information stored on this site is not private.

#1 2017-05-31 13:31:24

gator96100
Contributor

[solved] Proxmark bricked?

I wanted to revalidate my precompiled builds by flashing the newest bootloader as well as the newest fullimage. The flashing of the bootloader exited successful and when I wanted to flash the fullimage the pm appered as unknown device after the flasher resets the pm and waits for it to reappear. When pluged into my computer the pm is recognized only when the button is held down or I want to flash the pm it appeares as unknown device in the device manager.
Did I break the bootloader? The client seems to work fine, only the flashing does not work.

Last edited by gator96100 (2017-06-01 01:16:45)

#2 2017-05-31 15:15:44

iceman
Administrator
Website

Re: [solved] Proxmark bricked?

Recent changes to usb_cdc.c changed the vid/pid values.  Which means Windows will need to install the device driver again. I suspect that should go quite painless but the first time after bootrom flashing, this might take some time.

#3 2017-05-31 16:14:13

ntk
Contributor

Gator, it is not bricked. You use window or linux OS?

Hold the button down, connect to linux or window OS so it can be recognised as  a CDC  device, then you can setup COMx communication accordingly, then flash through it. it is easier to check and set in linux, remember ion window you need to leave test mode to install new window driver, window OS will complains about unsigned, just say yes do it, BUT then you need to re-enter test-mode so that the unsigned driver could be load later on ,

All that while continuing pressing button, , or it will jump to next PORT next other PORT

Somethign strange still, but many users recently have recovert PM3 that way.

Last edited by ntk (2017-05-31 16:19:29)

#4 2017-05-31 18:30:12

gator96100
Contributor

I tried to change the vid/pid values in the .inf file, when I install the driver I get the error: "the install class is not present or is invalid"
Any ideas?

Edit: I accidentally modified the ClassGuid. It works now.
P.S.: Might be a good idea to update the .inf driver for windows as it still has the old vid/pid values.

Last edited by gator96100 (2017-05-31 18:43:32)

#5 2017-05-31 18:54:43

iceman
Administrator
Website

or we edit back to previous vid/pid,  so we can differentiate between hid and cdc versions...

#6 2017-05-31 20:03:01

piwi
Contributor

J. Westhues must have spent a few 1000$ to officially register the proxmark PID/VID while the other VID/PID is obviously a fake. The fake VID is registered to "Guangzhou Botao Information Technology Co., Ltd" and the fake PID is not registered at all.

HID and CDC can be distinguished in the device manager.

#7 2017-06-01 11:58:16

iceman
Administrator
Website

we can use the offical vid/pid,   no problem,  but we do need to update all help-texts referencing to this.  Wiki, install.txt, readme.txt etc etc

#8 2017-06-01 14:22:37

ntk
Contributor

iceman wrote:

we can use the offical vid/pid,   no problem,  but we do need to update all help-texts referencing to this.  Wiki, install.txt, readme.txt etc etc

update all help-texts referencing to this... you mean regarding vid/pid or how to get Pm3 back in operation when PM3 appears to be a CDC device only when/while you keep the button pressed.

Basically in newer SW release when update fimware, for unknow reason PM3 resets and driver is re-install but on the next higher COM port, or ttyACM(N+1) and strangely PM3 re-appears as CDC only while button pressed.

I have told people on window OS about the trick
- switch window OS to normal integrity check mode
- PM3 has eben set on COM3, when start the flashing process, suddenly PM3 reset , only press button then it come up as CDC, window install PM3 on next higher port, and higher... what now? just leave the flasher waiting for PM3 to re-appear on COM3 running in the background
- plugin PM3 while button pressed, so it appears as a CDC device, and is installed as a new COM device on next higher ehdevice,  say COM4.
- don't release button, go into device manager and delete the previously PM3 COM device , say COM3,
- still keep button pressed command the PM3 (now on COM4) via advanced option to use COM3, do this for consistency PM3 always appears on COM3, and for the flasher process still waiting for PM3 in the background  for example
- now keep button pressed, unplug and replug check device manager PM3 is still on COM3 now (unless you have let loose the button) PM3 appears on COM3, and the flashing process foudn PM3, completes its job.
- next you let lose of the button, unplug and replug PM3, check device manager PM3 still appears on COM3 as expected.
- set window to use test mode,
- reboot system back in test mode, unplug and replug PM3 check to see PM3 driver is accepted (unsigned.signed issue) and PM3 appears on COM3 as expec ted if you don't check this step you could have one day a bad experience once your computer system is rebooted, and Pm3 suddenly not communicate any more but you don't remember ever modified or touched the driver in last few weeks/days. Hence you must restart window for checking the last step the driver is loaded and work properly (this is maybe an only window tick)

It is sounds complicated but the logic is simple get the drier loaded and the device communicate again.

But on each window system it behaves differently one more or less step needed,

Last edited by ntk (2017-06-01 17:20:47)

Board footer