Proxmark3 community

Research, development and trades concerning the powerful Proxmark3 device.

Remember; sharing is caring. Bring something back to the community.

"Learn the tools of the trade the hard way." +Fravia

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Time changes and with it the technology
Proxmark3 @ discord

Users of this forum, please be aware that information stored on this site is not private.

#1 2014-09-21 22:37:54

n3rd
Contributor

Cant quite get driver installed

My PM3 from China comes with a USB cable with 2 ends; I assume this helps provide additional current to power the PM3 over USB.

When plugging in the first USB plug (before I can get to the 2nd) I get the windows "USB device plugged in" noise and a balloon pops up on the taskbar which says:

"USB Device not recognized
One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it.  For assistance in solving this problem, click this message"

290yj4p.jpg

The LEDs on the PM3 turn off and the relay clicks off almost immediately.

If I click the message a dialog box comes up that says:

"One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it.  The location of the device is shown in bold type"

244w8s7.jpg

It points to an HID compliant device in the root hub.

I went into the device manager and looked at the HID devices called USB input device, and using a hint I read in another thread, looked under properties..Bus-Reported Device description and it does indeed say "ProxMark-3 RFID Instrument" 

When attempting to update the driver (using the proxmark3.inf found in \pm3-bin-0.0.5\pm3-bin-0.0.5\Windows Drivers\CDC (new serial interface) ) windows says: "The folder you specified does not contain a compatible driver for your device.  If the folder contains a driver, make sure it is designed to work with Windows for x64-based systems."  There is nothing else in that directory aside from the .inf file.

2r5tis6.jpg

So that did not work for me.  I next tried the 'old' driver found at: "\pm3-bin-0.0.5\pm3-bin-0.0.5\Windows Drivers\libusb-win32 (old usb interface)".  This one worked big_smile and updated the device in the Device manager.  Instead of being under "Human Interface Devices" it's now under "libusb-win32 devices" as "ProxMark-3 RFID Instrument" 

However, I don't know how to tell what (if any) COM port it is on.  When running the GUI, it asks for the com port.  I tried the first 15 available ones (COM1-COM15) but they all said "Error: invalid COM port" except COM3, which seems to already exist on my system (in the Device manager it says "Intel(R) Active Management Technology - SOL (COM3)"

So - what else do I need to do to get the PM3 to show up in the GUI interface?  I assume I have to get a COM port assigned to it somehow?

Last edited by n3rd (2014-09-21 22:40:17)

#2 2014-09-21 22:56:38

asper
Contributor

Re: Cant quite get driver installed

You have the old libusb firmware inside your pm3, to use the cdc-serial driver you need to update pm3 to the correspondant cdc-serial firmware (above r655, suggested r0.0.5).

Last edited by asper (2014-09-21 22:57:16)

#3 2014-09-22 00:08:16

n3rd
Contributor

asper wrote:

You have the old libusb firmware inside your pm3, to use the cdc-serial driver you need to update pm3 to the correspondant cdc-serial firmware (above r655, suggested r0.0.5).

Thanks!  I will try that now.  However, why does the pm3-bin-0.0.5 come with the older driver if it doesn't work with the GUI?  Is it required to flash the firmware in stages (old one first, then the new one)?

----

Trying it now.  The flasher.exe (or more accurately, the PDF that comes with the gui) says the FLASH files need to go in the /win32 folder.  This box is a 64 bit Win 7 machine, there is no /win32 folder.  Does this imply that I need a different flasher?  Or should I just create c:/win32/ ?

-----

I went ahead and created /win32 and /win32/firmware_win/bootrom directories.  Since this is done in a DOS window, I renamed that file from "FLASH - NEW Bootrom (uses old flasher exe with -b option).bat" to 'doit.bat' because it's very tedious to type otherwise. When I tried to run it, the program complained that "flasher-OLD.exe" was not found, so I copied that into c:\win32\ as well.

I tried to run the batchfile again and now Windows complains that there's a DLL problem:

2yysbaq.jpg

------

OK I found that DLL elsewhere and stuck it in /win32 and the flasher runs.  I held down the button and plugged in the PM3 when directed.  The flasher recognized the PM3 and flashed it:

qswr5t.jpg

It no longer shows up in the Device manager as ""ProxMark-3 RFID Instrument". 

However, it does not show up on a COM port in the Device manager.    When plugged into USB, the PM3 now lights up the red and yellow LED, and every 30 seconds, the relay clicks and the green LED lights up.

What should I do next?

Last edited by n3rd (2014-09-22 01:20:19)

#4 2014-09-22 06:33:52

midnitesnake
Contributor

You flashed the botrom  smile
next is to flash the OSimage (osimage.elf) - I cannot see you performing this necessary step above.
but its odd that you cannot see the COM device for the next step?
You may need a bus pirate to flash the OSimage ref: http://umeahackerspace.se/2013/03/21/bus-pirate-saves-the-day-proxmark3-jtag-flashing/

Last edited by midnitesnake (2014-09-22 06:34:16)

#5 2014-09-22 07:19:15

asper
Contributor

Thanks!  I will try that now.  However, why does the pm3-bin-0.0.5 come with the older driver if it doesn't work with the GUI?  Is it required to flash the firmware in stages (old one first, then the new one)?

Because the windows package comes with everything you can need to see if your just-received pm3 is working and if its firmware is libusb or cdc-serial; the GUI is an accessory-only to make things easier; to use the old libusb driver/firmware you need to use an old proxmark3.exe but old libusb executables are no more supported so I will not add them to avoid further confusions such as the ones you had with the drivers.
It is not needed to flash the pm3 in stages; already-bulit pm3 comes with an older firmware that usually is NOT the latest version available; it is advised to flash the latest firmware to avoid nasty bugs.

The flasher.exe (or more accurately, the PDF that comes with the gui) says the FLASH files need to go in the /win32 folder.  This box is a 64 bit Win 7 machine, there is no /win32 folder.  Does this imply that I need a different flasher?  Or should I just create c:/win32/ ?

The package comes with all files/folders you need if you mantain the provided folder structure; you are correct about the \win32 folder name, it is misleading and I will change it to \Windows Binaries in future releases, thanks for pointing that out.

...I renamed that file from "FLASH - NEW Bootrom (uses old flasher exe with -b option).bat" to 'doit.bat' because it's very tedious to type otherwise

Well you just need to double click on the .bat file to execute it without needing to type inside a Dos shell; renaming the file in "doit.bat" will cause more problems than the ones you had because people will not know what that file is used for.

OK I found that DLL elsewhere and stuck it in /win32 and the flasher runs.

The needed .dlls are inside the windows folder, they are not hiding "elsewhere":
UaoYNzB.png

When plugged into USB, the PM3 now lights up the red and yellow LED, and every 30 seconds, the relay clicks and the green LED lights up.

As midnitesnake correctly pointed out, you now need to flash the fullimage or FPGA+OS image because you only flashed the bootloader right now.
Do the same procedure you used to flash the bootloader (holding the pm3 button) and flash fullimage or FPGA and OS images and you should be fine. If the pm3 will not flash you will need to buy a a bus pirate and follow this procedure.

Last edited by asper (2014-09-22 07:29:34)

#6 2014-09-22 14:10:52

n3rd
Contributor

Thanks for the continued help as I limp along  big_smile

So just to be clear; the next steps in UpdateBootloader.pdf say that I need to modify files to change the com port number; since mine is not showing up as a com port, I can't do that step... I now need to go buy a bus pirate and try to figure out something called OpenOCD?

Is there anything else I can try first?

#7 2014-09-22 14:16:48

iceman
Administrator
Website

You flashed the new bootrom yes?
You flashed the fgpa fullimage yes/no
You flashed the new osimage yes/no

If you done all above and the PM3 is NOT showing up in the devicemanager  then jtag..
If you done all above and the PM3 is showing up in the devicemanager then  "update driver"

#8 2014-09-22 14:37:26

asper
Contributor

Bus pirate is the "last chance", you probably missed that sentence:

Do the same procedure you used to flash the bootloader (holding the pm3 button) and flash fullimage or FPGA and OS images and you should be fine

so try to use the othe .bat files to flash fpga and os before buying a bus pirate.

#9 2014-09-23 01:28:40

n3rd
Contributor

Thank you both. 
I was confused because it seems you have to flash bootrom.elf onto the PM3 twice?  Once before knowing the COM port and once after modifying the batch file with the correct com port?

I thought the instructions at this point assume that I can plug in the PM3 (without pushing the button) and see it in the Device Manager as a serial port. 

--------
Update:
Good news? yikes

Page 4 of the UpdateBootloader.pdf has a section titled "Windows problems in recognizing COM port".  It says the PM 3 may show up as a LIBUSB-WIN32 device.  Mine did not, but I followed the procedure anyway.  While holding down the button and plugging in to USB, it did show up as an "unknown device".  So while keeping the button pressed, I installed a new driver (\pm3-bin-0.0.5\Windows Drivers\CDC (new serial interface\proxmark3.inf).

Now, it shows up as Proxmark3 on COM port 7!  But, only while I am holding the button down while I plug in the USB.  If I don't hold the button down when I plug in the PM3, nothing shows up in the Device manager.

Am I safe to proceed?  The PDF says I now have to run the following batch files:

FLASH - Bootrom.bat
FLASH - FPGA fullimage.bat
FLASH - OS.bat

In the pm3-bin-0.0.5 tarball I had four distinct files; the FPGA and fullimage .batch files are separate.  In the PDF, it lists only three files, with FPGA and fullimage combined.  What does the fullimage contain?  Do I just run that one, or which ones should I do:

FLASH - Bootrom.bat
FLASH - FPGA.bat
FLASH - fullimage.bat
FLASH - OS.bat

Is the order in which I run these batch files important?

I assume I have to hold down the button to do this flashing, as my PM3 does not show up with a com port unless I hold the button down.  After the flashing, I won't have to hold down the button any more?  lol

Last edited by n3rd (2014-09-23 04:51:37)

#10 2014-09-23 06:26:29

iceman
Administrator
Website

in the message that shows up on the screen when running the flasher.exe it says something like: "your pm3 bootloader doesn't seem to recognise the new flash commands"...
Thats a good indikator for you to "press button and keep it holding down"

then follow the instructions. if it says:  flash bootrom, fullimage, os,  do that.  then watch what happens after your device has resetted.   You might need the new driver or not then.

Somewhere on the forum is an explaination what is the difference between FPGA and the fullimage.  Soemthing about the fullimage contains the os-image also.
The ones who doesnt compile the sourcecode uses the fullimage..
Other may just want to update smaller parts to fast test a change in the fgpa-code.    I think.
----

#11 2014-09-23 07:06:13

n3rd
Contributor

Thanks Iceman - but in the PDF instructions it says to run "FLASH - FPGA fullimage.bat".  As far as I can see, no such file exists in the mp3-bin-0.0.5.  so I want to be completely sure which one(s) I should run...

#12 2014-09-23 11:21:14

asper
Contributor

You are right n3rd, I need to update the .PDF with the new renamed file names; you can flas FPGA and after flashing it flash OS image using the appropriate .bat file and always keeping the button pressed. Otherwise you can flash fullimage only. OS image is the one that is updated more frequently so usually you don't need to flash fpga but if someone is updating from a very old version (like you) it is suggested to flash fullimage OR fpga+OS. Once your firmware is correctly updated (bootrom+fpga+os form the same build) your pm3 will be recognized without holding the button.

Flash FPGA first and then OS image (this is not mandatory, it should work in reverse also).

#13 2014-09-26 02:22:03

n3rd
Contributor

it.... WORKSSSSS!! YESSSS   big_smile

Thank you all for your help.  I flashed (only) the fullimage.  The PM3 now reports on Com 7 when I plug it in and the GUI sees and talks to it.

Now I have to go back and re-read the documentation to learn how to use it (it had been so long since I bought it, I forgot what I read).

I did some basic experimentation, not sure about these results:

proxmark3> hw version
#db# Prox/RFID mark3 RFID instrument                 
#db# bootrom: /-suspect 2014-09-19 10:31:37                 
#db# os: /-suspect 2014-09-13 11:21:04                 
#db# HF FPGA image built on 2014/ 6/19 at 21:26: 2                 
uC: AT91SAM7S256 Rev B         
Embedded Processor: ARM7TDMI         
Nonvolatile Program Memory Size: 256K bytes         
Second Nonvolatile Program Memory Size: None         
Internal SRAM Size: 64K bytes         
Architecture Identifier: AT91SAM7Sxx Series         
Nonvolatile Program Memory Type: Embedded Flash Memory         
proxmark3>
proxmark3> hw tune
proxmark3>
proxmark3> #db# Measuring antenna characteristics, please wait...                 
proxmark3> #db# Measuring complete, sending report back to host                 
proxmark3>           
proxmark3> # LF antenna: 11.14 V @   125.00 kHz         
proxmark3> # LF antenna: 20.27 V @   134.00 kHz         
proxmark3> # LF optimal: 20.27 V @   133.33 kHz         
proxmark3> # HF antenna:  0.16 V @    13.56 MHz         
proxmark3> # Your HF antenna is unusable.                   /* I only had the LF antenna plugged in but that 11.14V at 125khz is a little low, isn't it?  I did it twice and got the same results both times */
proxmark3> lf em4x em410xread
Auto-detected clock rate: 65535                                   /* I attempted to read an em4101 card  */
proxmark3>
proxmark3> lf em4x em410xread                                /* It said clock speed was 65535 regardless of if a card was there or not */
Auto-detected clock rate: 65535         
proxmark3>
proxmark3> lf hid fskdemod                                       /* I tried to read an HID card but nothing happened */
proxmark3>                                                              /* It seems to lock up at that point?  2 LEDs go on and no other commands are taken.  I tried several times, but got the same result each time.  I probably need to rtfm */
proxmark3> exit

Last edited by n3rd (2014-09-26 02:49:18)

#14 2014-09-26 07:42:34

iceman
Administrator
Website

Your LF antenna seems not quite tuned for 125kHz..
And before you do a lf command,  do a  "lf read" first.

:   lf read
:   data plot
:   lf em4x em410xread

should give a nice plotted wave..

#15 2014-10-03 03:06:50

n3rd
Contributor

Hi folks; I am not getting much from the device (yet).   Is there a good tutorial that covers a couple of basic operations with the PM3?  I read the instructions but not sure I'm doing anything right.  I was trying to copy the instructions given here:  http://www.xfpga.com/html_products/indala-card-cloner-en-79.html.  It appears to read (though sometimes it says the buffer samples are 00 00 00 which is suspicious) but then no ID is shown:

proxmark3> lf read
#db# buffer samples: 0e 15 1b ba ff ff ff ff ...                 
proxmark3>
proxmark3> data sample 2000
Reading 2000 samples
Done!
proxmark3>
Auto-detected clock rate: 64         
proxmark3>

I put a card on the antenna and didn't move, and just issued "lf read" commands repeatedly, the values change every time, is this normal?

proxmark3> lf read
#db# buffer samples: 45 31 20 13 07 00 00 00 ...                 
proxmark3>
proxmark3> lf read
#db# buffer samples: 44 31 20 13 07 00 00 00 ...                 
proxmark3>
proxmark3> lf read
#db# buffer samples: 7d 7d 7c 7c 60 49 35 25 ...                 
proxmark3>
proxmark3> lf read
#db# buffer samples: fe f5 ec e4 dd d6 cf c9 ...                 
proxmark3>
proxmark3> lf read
#db# buffer samples: 69 69 6b 6c 6d 6e 6f 6f ...                 
proxmark3>
proxmark3> lf read
#db# buffer samples: 33 39 3d 41 45 49 4c 50 ...                 
proxmark3>
proxmark3> lf read
#db# buffer samples: 17 0c 02 00 00 00 00 00 ...                 
proxmark3>
proxmark3> lf read
#db# buffer samples: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ...                 
proxmark3>
proxmark3> lf read
#db# buffer samples: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ...                 
proxmark3>
proxmark3> lf read
#db# buffer samples: ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ...                 
proxmark3>
proxmark3> lf read
#db# buffer samples: 00 00 00 00 03 0a 11 18 ...                 
proxmark3>
proxmark3> lf read
#db# buffer samples: c0 bc b6 b2 af ac a7 a4 ...                 
proxmark3>

The card is a known good EM4100 card that reads fine on my other reader (serial EM4100 reader).

Last edited by n3rd (2014-10-03 03:08:01)

#16 2014-10-03 08:42:13

iceman
Administrator
Website

I suggest you read on the old wiki.   You find it here:  https://code.google.com/p/proxmark3/wiki/RunningPM3

#17 2015-08-29 20:21:45

n3rd
Contributor

Zombie thread back from the dead  big_smile

I gave up on this a while ago because I wasn't getting anywhere.  I pulled everything out today to try again.  I didn't change anything but now

lf hid fskdemod

is working and reading the ID on an HID tag.

However, I still can't get a plain EM4100 card to read.  I have two of them and verified that they work with another reader (the other reader is this one:  https://www.parallax.com/product/32390 which I mounted in a case with a voltage regulator and level shifter so it can be read with a PC serial port).  It came with two 'rectangle cards'.

However, when I try to read the exact same cards with the PM3, I only get errors.  I tried both methods that I have seen, one from the place where I bought the PM3, and one recommended by Iceman above.

1)

proxmark3> lf read
#db# buffer samples: ea e3 db d5 ce c9 c2 be ...                 
proxmark3> 
proxmark3> data sample 2000
Reading 2000 samples
Done!
proxmark3> 

It didn't output anything except a clock rate (I tried it twice just to be sure)

2)

proxmark3> lf read
#db# buffer samples: 4e 33 1e 0b 00 00 00 00 ...                 
proxmark3> 
proxmark3> data plot
proxmark3> 
proxmark3> 
proxmark3> 

I read through the old wiki but do not see any hints on how to proceed or fix the problem with reading EM4100 cards

PS: Reminder I am still using the Proxmark Client by El Gaucho (de la livida palude :-).  Here's what the HW version command says:

proxmark3> hw ver
#db# Prox/RFID mark3 RFID instrument                 
#db# bootrom: /-suspect 2014-09-19 10:31:37                 
#db# os: /-suspect 2014-09-13 11:21:04                 
#db# LF FPGA image built on 2014/ 6/23 at  9:25:13                 
uC: AT91SAM7S256 Rev B          
Embedded Processor: ARM7TDMI          
Nonvolatile Program Memory Size: 256K bytes          
Second Nonvolatile Program Memory Size: None          
Internal SRAM Size: 64K bytes          
Architecture Identifier: AT91SAM7Sxx Series          
Nonvolatile Program Memory Type: Embedded Flash Memory        

Last edited by n3rd (2015-08-29 20:26:16)

#18 2023-08-21 03:57:47

n3rd
Contributor

So it's been about a decade since I bought a Proxmark 3 and I thought I should dig it up and see if I can get it to do anything.  I remember not having good luck before, so I looked for the latest firmware and found this:

https://hackerwarehouse.tv/product-knowledgebase/proxmark/proxmark3-rdv4-setup-in-kali-linux/

Since I have a Kali build, I figured I would try this.   

Everything went OK until I did the flashing:

proxmark3 /dev/ttyACM0 --flash --unlock-bootloader --image bootrom.elf

The Bootloader worked, but had a very verbose output :-D

"OBS! Note: your bootloader does not understand the new CMD_BL_VERSION command  It is recommended that you first update your bootloader alone, reboot the Proxmark 3 then only update the main firmware"
It also said

"Follow these steps
1) ./pm3-flash-bootrom
2) ./pm3-flash-fullimage
3) ./pm3

Available memory on this board:  UNKNOWN"

and

"your bootloader does not understand the new CHIP_INFO command"  However it continued to flash, saying
"Permitted flash range 0x00100000-0x00140000
Loading usable ELF segments:"

"Flashing...
Writing segments for file: /usr/local/bin/..share/proxmark3/firmware/bootrom.elf
0x00100000..0x001001ff [0x200 / 1 blocks]
. ok
0x00100200..0x0010145f {0x1260 / 10 blocks]
........... ok
All done
Have a nice day!
"

After that it went into a mode where it flashed LEDs every 30 seconds.  I followed the instructions given, starting with

./pm3-flash-bootrom

I had to hold the button down while plugging in the USB to get it to recognize the PM3.  it did seem to work, though;

"Available memory on this board: 256K bytes

Permitted flash range: 0x00100000-0x00140000
loading usable ELF segments:
0: V 0x00100000 P 0x00100000 (0x00000200->0x00000200) [R X] @0x94
1: V 0x00200000 P 0x00100200 (0x00001260->0x00001260) [R X] @0x298

Flashing...
Writing segments for file: (blah)bootrom.elf
ok
All done
have a nice day!

But when I go to flash the firmware with " ./pm3-flash-fullimage" I get:

"Error: PHDR is not contained in Flash
Firmware is probably too big for your device
see README.md for information on compiling for platforms with 256kb of flash memory
The flashing procedure failed, follow the suggested steps!
All done
Have a nice day!"

The README.md file ( https://github.com/RfidResearchGroup/proxmark3/blob/master/doc/md/Use_of_Proxmark/4_Advanced-compilation-parameters.md#256KB-versions ) says to edit Makefile.platform, so I looked at Makefile.platform.sample, which already had a hint in it about commenting out an existing part and uncommenting the "lines below in order to make a 256K image".  I did that, and saved it as "Makefile.platform", but I still get the same error "PHDR is not contained in Flash.  Firmware is probably too big for your device"

I noticed in Makefile.platform.sample (and now in my Makefile.platform file) there's a line to uncomment for the 256k size that says  "SKIP_LF=1".  Does this mean I can only work with HF cards?  My primary interest is on LF cards.

I also read that if you add "PLATFORM_SIZE=256" the error message will tell you how close you are to 256KB.

But before I proceed, would I be better off with a precompiled version?  Or should I continue along this path?

thank you!

Last edited by n3rd (2023-08-21 04:07:27)

#19 2023-08-21 18:52:41

quterydyf
Contributor

n3rd wrote:

I noticed in Makefile.platform.sample (and now in my Makefile.platform file) there's a line to uncomment for the 256k size that says  "SKIP_LF=1".  Does this mean I can only work with HF cards?  My primary interest is on LF cards.

I also read that if you add "PLATFORM_SIZE=256" the error message will tell you how close you are to 256KB.

I've already created a topic about 256k compiling: http://www.proxmark.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=11069
I think you can disable everything except the LF and the result will fit.
Alternative is to find an older release or to buy a new proxmark (ten years... this a total legacy).

Board footer