Proxmark3 community

Research, development and trades concerning the powerful Proxmark3 device.

Remember; sharing is caring. Bring something back to the community.

"Learn the tools of the trade the hard way." +Fravia

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Time changes and with it the technology
Proxmark3 @ discord

Users of this forum, please be aware that information stored on this site is not private.

#1 2014-07-01 23:24:48

Jeffrey S

Noob to PM3 - Trouble with driver loading

Hello all -

Apologies if I missed a thread elsewhere on the forum that may have a solution. I bought a new PM3 in April '14.  I've tried loading drivers on a Windows 7 32-bit and Windows 8.1 64-bit machine.  Both have proved unsuccessful.  I identified the correct USB Input Device from Control Panel - - > Device Manager.  Right clicked on it, updated driver, and pointed to several version of the driver and provide the same result: Windows says "the selected generic driver is the best fit: USB Input Device".

Would appreciate any help! Thanks

#2 2014-07-08 19:37:04

zhovner
Contributor
Website

Re: Noob to PM3 - Trouble with driver loading

Where you buy PM3?

If your PM3 recognise as HID device (boards from xfpga.com) you need old flasher to update firmware to make you board compatible with recent proxmark client.

Do you have a Linux machine on hand? If you haven't than create a virtual machine, forward proxmark device to virtual machine and look in dmesg.

If you seen this, I'm right:

generic-usb 0003:9AC4:4B8F.0001: hiddev0,hidraw0: USB HID v1.00 Device [J. Westhues ProxMark-3 RFID Instrument] on usb-0000:00:06.0-1/input0
usbcore: registered new interface driver usbhid

Download old version of client and compile it:

svn checkout -r 623 http://proxmark3.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/ proxmark3-old

then try to connect to PM3:

./proxmark3-old/client/proxmark3

#3 2014-07-08 22:13:57

Jeffrey S

Thanks for the response. I am presently on travel for the week, but will try your suggestion this weekend and post a follow up.

I did order the device through proxmark3.com.  In reviewing the purchase order, I noted the following comment: "Your board has been flashed with firmware version svn-r651."  Does that help provide more information?

#4 2014-07-09 15:14:31

gbhuk
Contributor

I needed to get my Proxmark up and working on a new Windows 7 machine recently after a years break away from using it.

The quickest route I found (thanks to asper) which also allowed me to go to the newer USB insterface and client software version 0.0.2:

Download pm3-bin-0.0.2 at the link in thread: http://proxmark.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1562
This archive contains both the old libusb and the newer CDC USB drivers.

Follow the instructions at http://www.proxmark.org/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=4584#p4584 to get your Proxmark recognised as a libusb device. (Actually I'm not using Vista but the instructions 3 posts earlier in this particular thread 4581 worked for me also).

If you're happy to stay on your current r651 revision then you're good to go.

If however you choose to update to 0.0.2 with the newer USB interface then I followed the UpdateBootloader.pdf instructions in the archive.  All in all I was up and running again in around 15 minutes.

The GUI Client by El Gaucho is a cool addition too.

Hope this helps.

Board footer