Proxmark3 community

Research, development and trades concerning the powerful Proxmark3 device.

Remember; sharing is caring. Bring something back to the community.

"Learn the tools of the trade the hard way." +Fravia

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Time changes and with it the technology
Proxmark3 @ discord

Users of this forum, please be aware that information stored on this site is not private.

#1 2012-11-28 03:36:56

beyondhelp

Let me introduce myself

Since I already barged in..

My name is John, I'm a security admin / researcher. I currently administer an access control system that uses the hid proxcard ii cards. Now that we are downsizing, it will leave me with some hardware to experiment with.

I posted an urgent request in the trade forum because I have a mentor that is willing to let me share in the research and development. The hope is to add this to a set of existing pentesting services. If I can come up with the equipment quickly it will make our job much easier.

Thanks for the help, I have already learned a bunch. John.

#2 2012-11-28 12:02:28

0xFFFF
Administrator

Re: Let me introduce myself

Welcome John!

You have a long way to go but the journey is enjoyable smile

How long have you been in the pentesting game?
When you say that you'd like to 'add this to a set of', are you implying that you already have some tools for electronic/NFC/RFID/RF penetration?

#3 2012-11-28 15:55:49

beyondhelp

0xFFFF wrote:

Welcome John!

You have a long way to go but the journey is enjoyable smile

How long have you been in the pentesting game?
When you say that you'd like to 'add this to a set of', are you implying that you already have some tools for electronic/NFC/RFID/RF penetration?

I am fairly new to the pentesting side of computer security. I have been on the network defense side for a few years, and a sysadmin for longer. I am also an intern working with Joe McCray from Strategic Security. He's the mentor I referred to. We want to assemble an RFID / NFC "kit" The urgency is because he's got someone who wants to see it demonstrated immediately. I believe one of the other interns contacted Roel directly last night as well so yes, we are from the same bunch. Just trying to help Joe out.

I spent a ton of time trying to hunt down suitable alternatives but it looks to me like the proxmark is the best solution due to its flexibility.

I see this as an area that may be growing in the future and if nothing else, it looks really cool. Building the proxmark3 from scratch is a little over my head atm but I have a tiny tiny bit of electronics experience.  We're starting at the ground floor. Future plans may include a device like the RfCat, the work done using the software defined radio that Paul Asadoorian (pauldotcom) discussed looks like it would be very interesting as well.

http://pauldotcom.com/2012/06/software-defined-radio-on-the.html

I'm still in the absorb all this new information mode, thanks for the prompt reply and the great resource. This stuff is a whole new world....

#4 2012-11-29 09:07:30

0xFFFF
Administrator

The Proxmark is capable of handling common formats and is a must have for nfc/rfid work (IMO).

You might want to look at what Michael Ossmann is up to. I plan on getting one for myself when it is ready.
I own a lot of wired and wireless pen testing equipment. My wireless bag of goodies includes an SDR (The one referenced in the video) and a few transceivers.

Board footer